Careers with NHS of New HavenExplore opportunities to join our talented and dedicated team.
We work together to deliver community-focused programs and services in the Greater New Haven area that position neighborhoods to succeed.
Our organization focuses on increasing homeownership; providing pre- and post-purchase homebuyer education and financial education; making homes beautiful, energy-efficient, and affordable; and helping residents take charge of their neighborhoods.
Community Lending Officer
HOC Lending, Inc. is a separately incorporated 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation that is affiliated with Neighborhood Housing Services of New Haven and the New Haven HomeOwnership Center. Our Community Lending Officer will be responsible for taking and evaluating loan applications and processing them for submission to the Loan Committee or the Executive Director for approval. A working relationship with City officials, local lenders, and representatives of foundations and other agencies or organizations is highly desirable.
A strong working relationship with all senior staff and directors is required, as lending activities will be directly related to the projects in which they are involved and outcomes that they are looking to achieve. Work is per¬formed under the direction of the Executive Director who will review and evaluate performance.
- Meets with customers to discuss their financing needs and identify the products that correspond with their needs and fit within their budgetary constraints
- Originates, processes and underwrites loan files
- Performs credit and risk analysis on all loan files
- Maintains active loan files ensuring file compliance with all State Department of Banking requirements
- Works with the Revolving Loan Committee to evaluate and assess the quality of loan applications exceeding $5,000
- Meets with banks, credit unions and other funders to create lending pools for renovation loans and down payment and closing cost assistance programs
- Works closely with NHS’ Department of Community Sustainability to establish a loan pool for implementing energy-efficiency measures
- Identifies and recommends new loan products beneficial to the community that we serve
- Performs other related duties as assigned
In a career with NHS of New Haven, you will work to help residents take charge of their neighborhoods.
Requirements of Work:
- Connecticut Mortgage Loan Originator License
- BA or BS in Finance, Business, or Accounting
- 5 years’ experience in the mortgage industry
- Excellent communication skills; enjoys working with people
- Strong organizational skills
- Motivated self-starter
- Committed to the mission of community lending
- Committed to the concept of underwriting loan applicants as individuals
- Experience in working with and in racially and culturally diverse communities
- Knowledge of Calyx software for mortgage originations
- Knowledge of basic (yet flexible) underwriting standards and guidelines
- Understanding of NHS’ and HOC’s programs, activities and mission.
- Excellent computer knowledge:
- Word processing
- Spreadsheet creation and interpretation
- Database management
Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Demonstrated ability to express thoughts, perceptions and ideas clearly and concisely, verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a large volume of lending activity and to adhere to strict schedules.
- Demonstrated ability to show accuracy, timeliness and follow-up on tasks.
- Ability to interact positively with the public and with the NHS/HOC staff.
- Ability to work as a team member, coordinating with other NHS/HOC staff and departments to meet overall objectives within specified timeframes.
- Ability to make sound decisions within the scope of the job.