HOC Lending is an emerging Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI)
related to NHS of New Haven. We are a Mission-Focused Community Lender that believes in Wealth Building, Creating Assets for Generational Wealth purposes through real estate, Restoring Equity and Reinvesting in our Community! We do this by offering innovative, low-cost financing as well as referrals to lending institutions that support economic inclusion and affordable housing especially for the underserved, BIPOC community and low- and moderate-income individuals. We also offer development services.
Meet Katrina Goins, your Community Lending Officer
P: (203) 777-6925 Ext. 216
Lending is available for house repairs and last resort home equity style loans for homeowners residing in the New Haven county area. Down payment and closing costs assistance depends on fund availability. If you are ready to submit an application for our REHAB or Last Resort Home Equity Loan please use the following link:
HOC Lending believes in edification and seeks to address issues that prevent people from attaining their goals in buying as well as maintaining their home. Call our Community Lending Development Professionals for questions or concerns.
What is a CDFI?
The Community Development Financial Institutions Fund (CDFI Fund) plays an important role in generating economic growth and opportunity in some of our nation’s most distressed communities. By offering tailored resources and innovative programs that invest federal dollars alongside private sector capital, the CDFI Fund takes a market-based approach to supporting economically disadvantaged communities.
HUD/FHA approved to participate in the Single Family Nonprofit Program as a provider of Secondary Financing
“In the short time I’ve worked with Katrina, it’s apparent that she is extremely passionate about helping her clients! It’s not just a job for her! I know she loves what she does and it shows!!”
Patrick Shiel | Mortgage Loan Originator | NMLS # 870555 | Mortgage Markets CUSO, LLC
“Katrina from HOC Lending went all out for me! When I came to NHS of New Haven, she excused herself from her meeting just to talk with me. From there she held my hand throughout my entire home buying process, helped me get down payment assistance and even attended my closing. She is still helping me now to get some money I am eligible for to do some work within my home. Am not from here and Katrina understood the importance for me to be a homeowner. I couldn’t ask for better service!”
Malaine Forbes Google review from March 2022
Aging in Place (AIP)
Our AIP program is designed to provide low- and moderate-income adults 50 years of age and older with comprehensive financial and home improvement project support that enables them to maintain their homes with dignity as they age. Our AIP lending option have flexible underwriting criteria for senior homeowners residing in New Haven County while development services are offered to income-eligible CT residents.
- We ensure that residents obtain the loan products that suit their current financial situation, are empowered through financial education, and are supported in their home improvement endeavors. The Aging-in-Place program will assist with budgeting to provide an understanding of the long-term cost of projects and lending associated with the home projects.
- Community Lending Staff support residents by first reviewing available resources that could save homeowners money and thoroughly review financial products that avoid predatory lending and scams. We can discuss appropriate loan options with seniors, focusing on a basic understanding of reverse mortgages, home equity loans, home equity lines of credit, refinancing of mortgages, and advocating for accessory dwelling units and shared-equity options, when appropriate.
- “Respect Your Elders” initiative through this program supports income-eligible homeowners who receive hospice services in their homes. Volunteers may be recruited to visit AIP recipients at their homes to assist with small gardening or exterior projects that will make them more comfortable in their homes. Please note: This free service depends on volunteer availability for residents’ designated area.
- AIP participants can also receive referrals to legitimate and reduced-cost contractors to do necessary home modifications for income-eligible homeowners. We seek to improve economic conditions for older income-eligible Connecticut homeowners who are over 50 years of age and older by supporting a range of housing options through permanent or temporary solutions that increase the availability of accessible and affordable choices and prevent fall risks.
Our REHAB loan is defined as Restore Equity Housing Asset Builder. This loan is for homeowners looking to do repair work within their homes. Our Last Resort Home Equity Loan allows homeowners to use equity in their home to pay off outstanding debts who had trouble securing a home equity loan elsewhere. Our hope is to get homeowners away from an unsustainable “Robbing Peter to pay Paul” lifestyle by consolidating. Please note: The Last Resort Home Equity Loan requires a financial counseling session with 1 of our HUD-certified Housing Counselors. Down payment and closing costs assistance have a separate application so please call us at (203) 562-0598 to find out more information.
Our Loan Committee
- Leslie Radcliffe – Neighborhood Resident
- Carol Heller – Bank of America
- Virginia Stevenson – Neighborhood Resident
- Doreen Abubakar – Neighborhood Resident
- Robert Filippone – Norcom Mortgage