Ways In Which We Have Stretched Our Efforts
In 1951, the gracious front porch that had been part of 1389 Chapel Street for 46 years was removed and replaced with a brick storefront. The storefront was so imposing that it completely obstructed the house that stood behind it, and made it impossible for a passerby to grasp the intrinsic beauty of the dilapidated house.
The structure had been abandoned for some time when the Hospital of St. Raphael acquired it in 1999. The Hospital had planned to demolish the structure when NHS discovered a photograph (c.1935) that showed how the building appeared 80 years earlier. The impact of that photograph motivated the president of the Hospital to re-think the demolition plans and he ultimately decided to contract with NHS to save the building.
The neoclassical front porch was rebuilt and, with assistance from the New Haven Preservation Trust, an appropriate paint scheme was selected. This project provided the hospital and neighborhood with a very attractive solution to what was once a seriously blighted corner.